GLA:D Canada: An evidence-based best practice treatment for patients with symptomatic knee and/or hip osteoarthritis
• Good Life with osteoArthritis in Denmark (GLA:D®) is an education and targeted neuromuscular exercise program developed in Denmark, and proven to produce positive long term outcomes in over 10,000 participants.
• Results from Denmark at one-year follow-up include
✓ 27 per cent reduction in pain intensity
✓ A 37 per cent reduction in use of joint related pain medications in knee patients, and 45 per cent reduction in hip patients
✓ An over 30 per cent increase in self-reported physical activity levels
✓ 20 per cent of GLA:D participants with knee osteoArthritis (OA) were on sick leave, compared to 30 per cent at baseline
• The program is based on principles of neuromuscular exercise in conjunction with education, which teach participants the use their muscles for correct movement patterns for everyday activity.
• GLA:DTM Canada is appropriate for anyone experiencing knee and or hip OA symptoms, including those with mild to severe symptoms. For some people who are waiting for joint replacement surgery attending GLA:DTM Canada has delayed their decision to proceed.
• The program is facilitated by GLA:DTM Canada certified trainers and is provided in rehabilitation clinics, as well as wellness settings. The GLA:DTM Canada program is specifically designed to be held in a group format to help with motivation as well as minimize costs (approx. $30 per session). The program includes a data collection component to measure patient outcomes at the start of the program, at three months, and one year after participation in the program, for quality monitoring.
• Training for GLA:DTM Canada is available for physiotherapists, registered kinesiologists, chiropractors and other health care professionals who have experience in working with OA patients. Training sessions are being organized throughout the country over the next year.
• GLA:DTM Canada is licensed to the Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation.
• Further information about the GLA:DTM Canada program, including locations, is available at: gladcanada.ca
Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit laborum. Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis.